By Mrs. Z
Fried chicken has been a favorite for both young and old and had always been present in any occasion, especially on birthdays… But because frying oil and any other fatty substance used to fry and get that “crispy and malutong sa kagat na balat,” others are starting to have second thoughts as to prepare this birthday favorite/staple or not. But, as I am known for healthy food choices and options… I am bringing you this fat loss non-fried chicken..
What you’ll need:
- Himalayan salt
- Chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. patis (fish sauce)
- Ground pepper
- Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. egg whites
- Cut desired chicken parts
What you need to do:
- Marinate your cut chicken parts with Himalayan salt, garlic, 1 tsp. patis, pepper, cornstarch, panko bread crumbs and 2 tbsp.egg whites for about 30 minutes. Once you’re done marinating your chicken, then you can bake it at your pre-heat oven for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Before serving, spray with oil then broil (full, 500 degrees) middle deck for 8 minutes each side.
- The key is keeping the chicken off the tray with a wire rack while baking and broiling. This will keep the chicken moist and have that crispy skin.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy.
Gram per gram, fat/oil is twice the amount of calories of carbs and protein. You get more nutritional benefit from protein as it builds muscles and keep your blood sugar leveled which in turn gives a sensory feedback of being full or satisfied. Who says you cannot enjoy your favorite fried chicken, just as long as it is cooked this way, then you can enjoy it without the feeling of guilt.
Mrs. Z is the author of the book “THE KITCHEN ALCHEMIST. Transform your body. An easy and practical program to lose 2-3 lbs a week without exercise.” Check her website at alliswell.ca for more tips and recipes.